The John Laing Charitable Trust was established in 1962 with general charitable objectives. The John Laing company originally covenanted payments for a period of seven years.
In the mid 1970's the Trust was combined with the Laing Benevolent Fund which had been set up in 1932 to provide welfare to existing and former employees and their families, with all donations ex-gratia. The Fund owned shares in John Laing and received regular covenanted donations from the Company.
At that time, the Fund and the John Laing Charitable Trust had combined assets of over £2 million. The income was applied to employee welfare and general charitable activity. Both the Fund and JLCT are completely separate from the pension fund for employees.