John Laing ranked 3 stars in BITC's 2014 Corporate Responsibility Index
John Laing has today been recognised in Business in the Community’s annual benchmark of responsible business, the Corporate Responsibility Index (CR Index).
Since 2002, the CR Index has provided unique insight into how businesses are driving the responsible business practice that will help secure a sustainable future. The 2014 CR Index, which is being launched as part of Responsible Business Week, provided a more challenging set of questions than ever before and its findings indicate that real the progress is being made by UK companies to integrate responsible behaviour into their business. This includes a growing understanding that responsible business provides mutual benefit, with two in three CR Index companies evaluating the economic value of CR to the business.
John Laing was announced as a 3 star company. This means that John Laing:
• Has developed and implemented procedures to ensure that its employees live up to company standards of business behaviour
• Links remuneration or bonus systems to senior managers and Board members’ CR objectives and targets
• Takes into account social and environmental issues when making strategic business decisions such as Investments, Downsizing, Research and Development, Selection of business partners, and Selecting pension fund providers
• Provides relevant CR training for employees, senior managers and Board members
• Has developed specific and measurable targets for some but not all performance areas
• Can demonstrate 1-2 years of performance improvement across several performance impact areas.
Stephen Howard, Chief Executive, Business in the Community said: “The 2014 CR Index shows us that companies are making real progress to integrate responsibility throughout their operations. We know that companies are now increasingly discussing CR at board level, transforming company culture through embedding CR into training, and unlocking innovative products and services by looking ahead to the long-term challenges and opportunities of responsible business. Crucially, this shift is being driven by a tranche of responsible leaders that understand the new contract now required between business and society to drive change.
“I congratulate John Laing for achieving a 3 star rating because it demonstrates a clear commitment to an integrated approach to being a responsible business. We look forward to working with John Laing to challenge and support them towards creating a fairer society and a more sustainable future.”
Responsible Business Week (31 March – 4 April) is the only week dedicated to responsible business that is run by the charity Business in the Community. Responsible Business Week aims to inspire, equip and challenge businesses to do more to meet the world’s most pressing needs. You can follow the conversation at #RBWeek.
T: +44 20 7420 3186