Chief Commercial Officer
Job Title: Chief Commercial Officer, Mobilinx Hurontario General Partnership – the project company for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit project
Reporting To:John Laing Asset Director (North America) with project-level reporting to Chief Executive Officer, Mobilinx Hurontario General Partnership – (the “Project Co”)
Division: Asset Management
Location: North America Region (Canada), (“NA”)
Staff Management: -
John Laing, as a 35% and single-largest equity investor in the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (“LRT”) Project in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (the “Project”). Financial Close is scheduled to occur by September 30, 2019.
The Project entails the DBFOM on an availability-payment basis of a new LRT system in Mississauga and Brampton, Ontario which is to consist of 18 at-grade stops and one station, as well as approximately 18 kilometers of semi-exclusive at-grade guideway.
System elements for the Project include revenue vehicles, traction power, signaling and train control, track, and communication and data systems.
The Project includes an Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility (“OMSF”), which is to accommodate the fleet of 28 revenue vehicles. The OMSF is to also include the Operations Control Center, and facilities to support the operation and maintenance of the Project.
John Laing is seeking to identify a Chief Commercial Officer (“CCO”) with experience of senior executive roles at the project level to work within the Project Co. It is intended that the CCO will be employed by John Laing and seconded into the Project Co.
The Project Co is located in Mississauga, Ontario and the role will work in close day-to-day coordination with the CEO and other members of the Project Co team, in addition to board members from John Laing and our equity partners. It is expected that this role will be responsible for many of the commercial, legal, company secretariat and general responsibilities performed by senior Project Co leadership with PPP experience.
The Project is being procured under a Public-Private Partnership model by the Province of Ontario as represented by Ontario Infrastructure and Lands Corporation and Metrolinx (collectively, the “Sponsors”).
Infrastructure Ontario has extensive experience of delivering AFP/P3 projects in Ontario with over 100 major infrastructure projects procured under the AFP/P3 delivery model. Metrolinx has over 200 infrastructure improvement projects of varying size underway with a total investment of $16 billion and has been involved with many of Ontario’s AFP/P3 transit projects to-date.
A senior John Laing Project Co team member, thereby taking responsibility for successful project outcomes. Also, in coordination with the wider NA team, provide advice to bid teams, asset management and John Laing Group governance committees.
- An integral member of the project team tasked to deliver the Hurontario LRT Project through the construction phase and into the operational phase.
- Ensure strategies are developed and implemented by the project team to deal with commercial and legal issues that arise during all the project phases.
Act as Chief Commercial Officer for Project including:
- Co-management of the Project Co relationship with the Sponsors (alongside the CEO and other C-suite personnel within the Project Co), with an emphasis on the commercial and legal aspects of the Project;
- Management and administration of the contractual relationships of the Project Co, including the Project Agreement, Design-Build Agreement, Operation and Maintenance Contract(s) and all associated parent company guarantees and other forms of performance security, including for certainty having signing authority for the Project Co on all formal correspondence with the Sponsors, the Design-Build Contractor, the O&M Service Provider, Debt Providers and any other contracts entered into by the Project Co; and
- Company secretariat functions of the Project Co.
Quality and compliance
- Play a key role in the establishment and maintenance of policies and plans that are best practice for project companies delivering complex P3 projects, including plans and policies that are consistent with equity shareholder guidelines.
- Ensure the implementation and operation of the asset complies with the specific technical and contractual obligations.
- Continually ensure that practices, policies and strategy are in accordance with the Companies’ objectives and actively participate in identifying ways to minimise the environmental impact of operations.
- Implement, maintain and manage effective systems to monitor performance against targets and report on progress.
- Implement ongoing asset management strategy that both reduces risk and focuses on the delivery of enhancements in operational performance, leading ultimately to real improvements in portfolio performance.
- Prepare monthly Asset Management reports and Board reports
- Comply with all health and safety, quality and environment legislation and standards.
- Carry out additional ad hoc duties as required, including bythe John Laing Group.
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 5 years in project companies dealing with technically complex project assets, demonstrating a strong understanding of projects and associated risks. Some knowledge of rail/light rail/transit and/or other complex solutions would be ideal.
- Good commercial, financial and technical knowledge and experience, ideally including all stages through development, construction and operations.
- Strong experience of contract negotiation, implementation and enforcement.
- Proven ability in the leadership of the delivery of PPP projects
- Proven ability to succeed within small, highly focused teams working on high profile projects
- Ability to identify project risks and implement effective risk mitigation plans.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to engage with clients and all stakeholders, forming effective relationships, gaining their respect and confidence through all round gravitas
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external teams, driving the value enhancement objective
- Sound business / commercial acumen
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Highly driven – able to see a project through to successful conclusion through focused determination
- A willingness to be hands on and self sufficient as appropriate
- Ability to bring innovations to asset management
- Relevant commercial, financial or technical degree – e.g. legal, engineering, MBA.