Chief Operating Officer, I-4 Mobility Partners
Job Title: Chief Operating Officer, I-4 Mobility Partners
Reporting to: Jan van de Meene, Chief Executive Officer, I-4 Mobility Partners
Location: Orlando, Florida
Department: Asset Management
Business Division: North America
John Laing Group (JLG) is an FTSE 250-listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, telecommunication and environmental infrastructure projects across a range of international markets including the United States, Canada, UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and the Middle East.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) will be part of a dedicated, on-site I-4 Mobility Partners management team working on the I-4 Ultimate P3 Project in central Florida. Whilst the focus for the COO will be on the key tasks described below, the management team works across multiple disciplines from time to time and have created a team dynamic that encompasses flexibility and collaboration in terms of mind-set and work approach. The person fulfilling this role may, over time, enlist certain support from either of the two staff engineer positions at I-4 Mobility Partners, currently focused on construction oversight and documentation close-out.
John Laing, as a 50% equity investor, alongside Skanska Infrastructure Development (“Skanska ID”), was issued a Concession Agreement by the Florida Department of Transportation (‘FDOT”) to develop, design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the I-4 Ultimate Project (“Project”) in central Florida through a Public-Private Partnership in 2014. The Project consists of the construction of 21 miles of the I-4 from west of Kirkman Road in Orange County to east of State Road 434 in Seminole County, including the addition of four tolled express lanes, reconstruction or new construction of interchanges and bridges, and all associated improvements to adjacent cross-roads, frontage roads and ramps. The Project is being undertaken in cooperation with the Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Turnpike Enterprise, Central Florida Expressway, Orange and Seminole Counties, the City of Orlando and other local stakeholders.
The Project reached Financial Close on September 4, 2014 and is being procured under a 40-year availability-payment based concession with an approximate 7-year construction period and 33 year operations period.
John Laing is seeking to identify a COO with senior-level experience at the project level to work within the Project Co. It is intended that the COO will be employed by John Laing and seconded into the Project Co.
The Project Co. office is located in Maitland, Florida, an Orlando suburb, and the role will work in close day-to-day coordination with the CEO, CTO, CCO and other members of the Project Co team, in addition to board members from John Laing and Skanska ID. It is expected that the person in this role will be responsible for the procurement and delivery of the operations, maintenance and life cycle obligations under the Concession Agreement.
A senior John Laing Project Co team member, thereby taking responsibility for successful project outcomes. Also, when time permits, in coordination with the wider NA team, provide advice to bid teams, asset management and JL governance committees.
· During 2020-21, to lead the procurement of an Operations & Maintenance Contractor(s) (“O&M Contractor”) that will carry out the operations and maintenance needs of the Project commencing from January 2022;
· Manage the working relationship between I4MP and the O&M Contractor;
· Take budgetary responsibility for ensuring all Operations & Maintenance duties are completed within budget;
· To oversee the mobilization of the O&M Contractor and ensure successful fulfilment of contractual obligations;
· To manage and administrate all Project Co issues with an operations, maintenance and lifecycle impact;
· To calculate impact of changes on operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs due to as-build construction and/or change orders throughout the construction phase;
· To support negotiations related to compensation for, or mitigation of operations, maintenance and lifecycle issues;
· To optimize the planning and management of maintenance and lifecycle issues;
· To overlook operations and maintenance during the remainder of the construction period and assist in preparations for I4MP to more directly assume operations and maintenance responsibilities after Substantial Completion.
Specifically, responsibilities include:
Pre-Substantial Completion Construction Phase
· Help develop procurement documents and process for contracting O&M Contractor;
· Develop O&M and Lifecycle manual as construction finishes prior to achieving Substantial Completion;
· Review and monitor all design and construction (input from oversight engineers) activities for deviations that will impact operations, maintenance and lifecycle costing and/or programming that will influence the procurement and bid value for the O&M Contractor during the final construction phase;
· Monitor any other issues and changes with an operations, maintenance and lifecycle impact that will influence the procurement and bid value for the O&M Contractor during the final construction phase;
· Work with I4MP management team to seek compensation/mitigation approaches from the construction contractor for deviations that will impact operations, maintenance and lifecycle activities against the bid base case;
· Develop cost calculations for additional and/or modified operations, maintenance and lifecycle activities in lead-up to O&M Contractor procurement;
· Day to day liaison with FDOT and Contractor for O&M activities and performance during construction, including participation in meetings and compiling reports when required;
· Assist with procurement and development of asset management system and related preparations as Project is completed; and
· Assist and/or lead all aspects of preparing I4MP for the O&M period
Operations, Maintenance and Lifecycle Phase
· Function as key point of contact between FDOT, the O&M Contractor and I4MP;
· Manage relationship with O&M Contractor;
· Maintain the Project operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs database for changes and identified defects;
· Support the I-4 management team in negotiations with O&M Contractor and FDOT on compensation for or mitigation of additional operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs and risks;
· Assist in settlement/agreement of disputes related to operations, maintenance and life cycle activities;
· Review baseline O&M and lifecycle budget against activities performed by O&M Contractor;
· Support CEO and CFO with O&M and lifecycle budget updates to I4MP Board;
· Dealing with general day to day enquiries on O&M and lifecycle matters;
· Attending/chairing regular meetings with relevant parties;
· Manage O&M aspects of the DB contract and other subcontracts during construction;
· Support the team (management and construction oversight team) with the analysis of technical issues;
· Provide technical support to any construction variations for the project;
· Review of the monthly invoice of the contractor for deductions for non-conforming work; and
· Hold regular meetings to review technical issues;
Health and Safety
· Ensure compliance with all Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental programs, legislation and standards;
· Monitor Health and Safety and Environmental performance of the O&M Contractor and other subcontractors; and
· Ensure client expectations are managed in line with contract provisions, to include any HSEQ requirements of the client, FDOT
· Assist in the production of monthly reports;
· Carry out additional ad hoc duties as required;
· Comply with all health and safety, quality and environment legislation and standards; and
· Carry out additional ad hoc duties as required as part the John Laing Group.
Knowledge & Experience
· Extensive technical knowledge of highway construction and related structures (drainage, MSE-walls, ITS, pavement, concrete structure);
· Extensive experience of highway operations, maintenance and lifecycle techniques, including developing and maintaining a Asset Management System, lifecycle planning and execution, familiar with application of FMEA/FMECA in Asset Management Systems;
· A knowledge of road O&M and lifecycle costing procedures and processes; and
· Experience with O&M and lifecycle cost calculations.
Beneficial Experience (not required)
· At least 10 years in project companies or equivalent dealing with technically complex project assets, demonstrating a strong understanding of projects and associated risks;
· Public-private partnership procurement experience particularly during any bid phase;
· Commercial and/or contractual experience, especially with P3 contracting;
· Experience working for or with FDOT;
· Proven ability in PPP leadership roles; and
· Proven ability to succeed within small, highly focused teams working on high profile project.
· An eye for technical details with the ability to present the facts simply;
· Ability to identify project risks and implement effective risk mitigation plans/strategies;
· Business/commercial acumen;
· Creative influencing and negotiation abilities;
· Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to engage with clients and all stakeholders, forming effective relationships while gaining respect, trust and confidence;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills;
· Highly driven – ability to be self-motivated and see a project through to successful conclusion through focused determination;
· Strong team player particularly comfortable and effective working in small teams; and
· Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
· Experience within project company management team or equivalent as O&M manager, O&M director, procurement manager or equivalent; or
· Experience as a roadway maintenance engineer, roadway construction manager, roadway inspection manager or similar.
· Evidence of technical/engineering training on roads & associated structures;
· Four-year college degree in related field and/or relevant experience; and
· Membership of a relevant professional body (desirable).
Perks and Benefits
· Health plan
· Dental plan
· Vision plan
· 401k contributions
· Charity projects
· Women’s Network Club
· Flexible working
· Wellbeing allowance
· And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
To apply please email your CV to email@example.com