Chief Technical Officer (“CTO”) – Mobilinx Hurontario General Partnership
Job Title: Chief Technical Officer (“CTO”) – Mobilinx Hurontario General Partnership (“MHGP” or “SPV”) for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project (the “Project”)
Reporting to: Asset Director, North America (with project-level reporting to Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), MHGP)
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Starting date: Q3, 2020
Department: Asset Management
Business Division: North America
About John Laing
John Laing Group is an FTSE 250-listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, telecommunication and environmental infrastructure projects across a range of international markets including Canada, the United States, UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and the Middle East.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Chief Technical Officer, MHGP
In this role, the CTO will be part of a small, dedicated management team working on the Project in Mississauga, Ontario. Whilst the focus for the CTO will be on the key tasks described below, the management team works across multiple disciplines from time to time and have created a team dynamic that encompasses flexibility and collaboration in terms of mind-set and work approach. The person fulfilling this role will manage, and can enlist support from, the Technical Manager currently employed on the Project.
Purpose of the role
John Laing is single-largest equity investor in the Project, which reached Financial Close on October 21, 2019.
The Project entails the design, build, finance, operations and maintenance on an availability-payment basis of a new LRT system in Mississauga and Brampton, Ontario which is to consist of 18 at-grade stops and one station, as well as approximately 18 kilometers of semi-exclusive at-grade guideway.
System elements for the Project include light rail vehicles, traction power, signaling and train control, track, and communication and data systems.
The Project includes an Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility (“OMSF”), which will accommodate the fleet of 28 light rail vehicles. The OMSF will also include the Operations Control Centre, and facilities to support the operation and maintenance of the Project.
John Laing is seeking to identify a CTO with senior executive-role experience at the project level to work within the project company, MHGP. It is intended that the CTO will be employed by John Laing and seconded on a full-time basis into MHGP.
MHGP is co-located in Mississauga, Ontario with the Design-Build Joint Venture (“DBJV”) and our client, Metrolinx (the “Client”). The role will work in close day-to-day coordination with the CEO and other members of the MHGP team, in addition to board members from John Laing and our equity partners. It is expected that this role will be responsible for many of the construction, design, engineering, equipment, technical and general responsibilities performed by senior project company leadership with PPP experience. A major responsibility of this position will be to ensure, on behalf of MHGP, that the DBJV is in compliance with the technical requirements of the Construction Contract.
The Project is being executed under a Public-Private Partnership model by the Province of Ontario as represented by Ontario Infrastructure and Lands Corporation and Metrolinx.
Infrastructure Ontario has extensive experience of delivering AFP/PPP projects in Ontario with over 100 major infrastructure projects procured under the AFP/PPP delivery model. Metrolinx has over 200 infrastructure improvement projects of varying size underway with a total investment of $16 billion and has been involved with many of Ontario’s AFP/PPP transit projects to-date.
A senior John Laing project company team member, thereby taking responsibility for successful project outcomes. Also, when time permits, in coordination with the wider North American team, provide advice to bid teams, asset management and John Laing governance committees.
- Manage the working relationship between MHGP, the DBJV and the Operations and Maintenance Joint Venture (“OMJV”) and ensure obligations of all parties under the Interface Agreement are met.
- To ensure that construction, systems and rolling stock meets the requirements of the Construction Contract, the technical requirements, the relevant technical specifications and all relevant project documents.
- To work closely with the Quality Director and Environmental Director to address any related issues that may arise and that the Quality and Environmental programs are effectively managed.
- At all times consider the operability and maintainability of the Project and the ability to deliver the Maintenance and Rehabilitation Plans within the project budget.
- To calculate impact of changes on operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs due to as-build construction and/or change orders throughout the construction phase
- To manage and administer all MHGP issues with an operations, maintenance and lifecycle impact, ensuring that performance standards are being met by the OMJV.
- To support negotiations related to compensation for, or mitigation of construction, systems, rolling stock, operations, maintenance and lifecycle issues.
Specifically, responsibilities include:
- Ensure that the DBJV complies with the construction related provisions of the Construction Contract, and project document including consideration of RAMS analysis, systems integration and other technical aspects.
- Monitor, evaluate and manage the DBJV's compliance with the Project Agreement, Technical Requirements, the Quality Plans, and any legal or regulatory requirements and approved policies, procedures and plans - liaise with the Quality Manager for this;
- Monitor construction progress against the schedule to ensure project delivery on time;
- Support the MHGP management team in negotiations with the DBJV and the Client on compensation for or mitigation of additional construction, systems and vehicle costs and risks;
- Participate in regular meetings with the Client, the DBJV and other relevant parties to review, inter alia, construction progress, construction issues and quality performance;
- Identify and report issues with a potential Operations, Maintenance and/or Rehabilitation impact early and take the lead to find mutually acceptable solutions on a timely basis;
- During transition to the operations phase, oversee vehicle and systems testing & commissioning, along with O&M ramp-up activities;
- Ensure compliance with the construction related performance requirements and monitor construction related noncompliance points and instances;
- Manage and organize the SPV's technical team.
- Monitor the implementation of the Quality Plans and propose enhancements as appropriate;
- Work with the Quality Director to assess non-conformance trends and participate in the development and/or evaluation of corrective actions;
- Monitor the performance of quality control;
- Ensure client expectations are managed in line with contract provisions, to include any Quality Plans requirements of the Project Agreement and Project Documents;
- Hold regular meetings with the Quality Manager and DBJV to review quality process issues, performance and workmanship.
Operations & Maintenance Oversight
- Function as the key point of contact between MHGP, the OMJV and the Client;
- Manage the relationship with the OMJV;
- Maintain the project operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs database for changes and identified defects;
- Support the MHGP management team in negotiations with the OMJV and The Client on compensation for or mitigation of additional operations, maintenance and lifecycle costs and risks;
- Assist in settlement/agreement of disputes related to operations, maintenance and life cycle activities;
- Support the CEO and the CFO with operations, maintenance and lifecycle budget updates to the MHGP Board;
- Dealing with general day-to-day enquiries on operations, maintenance and lifecycle matters;
- Attending/chairing regular meetings with relevant parties.
Management Team Member
- Work with the MHGP management team to develop a strategy and process to properly execute the Project Agreement, to have a quality project delivered on time and to manage the short- and long-term risks of the shareholders;
- Review/analyze reports provided by contractors and prepare a variety of correspondence, presentation and reports to the management team, the Client, and the Lenders;
- Provide input to the Project Risk Register and update as appropriate; ensure proper mitigation and monitoring of the project risks;
- Provide input into monthly reports for presentation to the Board, covering key construction, technical and quality issues and provide timely and accurate information and reports to the management team and shareholders in agreed format(s);
- Work collaboratively with the team including providing technical support to other team members / directors on e.g. construction, quality, operations, maintenance and rehabilitation issues;
- Undertake other duties as determined by the MHGP CEO and/or Board.
Health and Safety
- Ensure compliance with all Health and Safety and Environmental programs, legislation and standards;
- Monitor Health and Safety and Environmental performance of the DBJV, the OMJV, the Systems Provider, the Vehicle Supplier, and other subcontractors; and
- Ensure client expectations are managed in line with contract provisions, to include any HSE requirements.
- Carry out additional ad hoc duties as required as part the John Laing Group.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications Required
- Prior experience in the design and construction of major transit projects (preferably greenfield), with at least some experience with large ($1B+) projects;
- Experience working in in multi-disciplinary environments with clients, senior management, design teams and field construction personnel;
- Experience operating withing a structured quality management program;
- Risk management experience with ability to identify construction project issues and risks;
- Practical knowledge of a recognised project management methodology;
- Detailed knowledge of systems integration, light rail vehicles, RAMS, operations, maintenance and rehabilitation considerations on rail transit projects; and
- Comfort assessing progress through the review of construction schedules produced in Primavera.
Beneficial Experience (preferable but not essential)
- Prior experience working on Metrolinx and/or Infrastructure Ontario projects;
- Experience working within large and diverse consortiums with multiple stakeholders;
- Understanding of the PPP delivery model and structure;
- Experience working in rail transit operations;
- Experience of winter construction conditions, techniques and issues.
- Sound knowledge of applicable Technical Requirements and Federal, Provincial and local regulations and safety laws in the Province of Ontario;
- Proficient reading and interpreting Contract Documents, specifically design and construction plans and specifications and other documentation associated with heavy civil construction;
- Understanding the impact of construction issues on long term operations, maintenance and rehabilitation;
- Ability to identify project risks and implement effective risk mitigation plans/strategies;
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with multidisciplinary teams;
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Problem solver; ability to influence and persuade others;
- Track record of delivering under tight deadlines;
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and deliver effectively;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as required by the project;
- Possess strong computer skills and be proficient with MS Office products and software.
- An eye for technical details with the ability to present the facts simply;
- Business/commercial acumen;
- Creative influencing and negotiation abilities;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly driven – ability to be self-motivated and see a project through to successful conclusion through focused determination.
- Professional engineering designation – PMP is an asset
- Continuous professional development
- Membership of a relevant Professional Institution desirable
- Four-year university degree or equivalent in related field and/or relevant experience.
Perks and Benefits
- Health plan
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- RRSP contributions
- Charity projects
- Women’s Network Club
- Flexible working
- Wellbeing allowance
- And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
To apply please email your CV to email@example.com