Group Internal Audit Manager
Job Title: Group Internal Audit Manager – Corporate
Reporting to: Group Head of Internal Audit
Location: London, UK
Department: Internal Audit
Business Division: Group
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is a leading international investor across a range of infrastructure sectors. We are a responsible investor, committed to delivering critical and enduring infrastructure which responds to public needs and improves the lives of the communities we serve.
Today the Group has investments and operations in seven countries, and employs over 150 people at offices in London, Schiphol, Melbourne, Sydney, New York, Los Angeles and Bogota. We invest in greenfield projects and in businesses which develop and own infrastructure assets. We are FTSE 250 listed with a Net Asset Value of £1.5 billion as at 31 December 2020 and a market capitalisation of £1.6 billion.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted names in greenfield infrastructure. During our long history, we have invested in over 150 projects, and as a result have developed strong credentials and a network of valuable relationships with both construction partners and clients. At its core, John Laing creates value through sourcing primary investments, active asset management and realising secondary assets for value. Our greenfield heritage, active asset management expertise, international footprint and partner relationships are key differentiators. These competitive strengths underpin a consistently strong investment track record in PPP projects, particularly in the transport and social infrastructure sectors. Since IPO, we have realised assets at an average multiple of cash invested of over three times.
The Group’s history has been one of constant evolution and growth, and this remains the case today. The fundamental drivers of infrastructure investment are stronger than ever – population growth, climate change, energy transition, urbanisation and the ever-increasing need for digital connectivity. Following the appointment of Ben Loomes as Chief Executive in May 2020, the Group launched a new strategy aimed at evolving John Laing into a leading international investment platform and manager of balance sheet and third-party capital across a range of infrastructure sectors.
We plan to build John Laing into a broader infrastructure investment platform with complementary investment businesses; a strong Greenfield PPP & Projects business, with a second engine for growth in mid-market Core-plus infrastructure. Over time, there is also a clear opportunity to build a third-party capital business alongside investing our own balance sheet. Our strategy seeks to build on our strengths and ensure we are well-positioned to capitalise on structurally favourable end markets. This is an exciting time to join a business that makes a real difference to society as it embarks on the next stage of its growth and evolution.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Group Internal Audit Manager – Corporate, is part of the Group Internal Audit team, based in London. This role reports into the Group Head of Internal Audit, who reports directly into the Chair of the Audit & Risk Committee, and administratively into the Chief Financial Officer.
Purpose of the Role:
The main purpose of the role is to manage the internal audit plan for Corporate level audits, to lead corporate level internal audits, and to provide line management, performance development and support to the Senior Internal Auditor.
- Assist with the annual planning process for Corporate audits, including performing a risk assessment of each Corporate function, drafting the annual audit plan, discussing the assessment and the plan with all key stakeholders and allocating resource to each audit
- Manage the completion of the Corporate audit plan throughout the year, including audit scheduling, scoping and resourcing, budget monitoring, stakeholder liaison, management of co-source services and reviewing audit files and audit reports
- Perform line management duties for one member of staff including assignment, supervision and review of work, performance development, and regular meetings to provide ongoing support
- Conduct independent internal audits in line with the agreed audit plan on Corporate level audits (20%-30% travel mainly to Europe and North America). This will include:
- Carrying out detailed risk and control assessments for each audit, including testing of the key areas, to review the existence and effectiveness of the controls in place
- Documenting audit workings, evidence obtained and test results to a high standard
- Presenting and agreeing factual audit findings to management through the audit process and formally at closing meetings
- Drafting clear and concise internal audit reports that explain the audit findings, root causes, consequences and agreed actions in a timely manner
- Owning the follow up process on agreed audit actions including regularly chasing management for responses and escalating late responses in a timely manner
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the Group and advise management on risk and control related matters, as required
- Assist with producing Audit & Risk Committee reports and other Executive and Regional reports, as required
- Provide weekly status updates to the Group Head of Internal Audit and to escalate any audit and audit action delays in a timely manner
- Carry out additional ad hoc reviews or duties as requested by the Group Head of Internal Audit
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
An experienced Internal Audit Manager (3 years minimum) with a strong understanding of general business and financial risks and controls and Internal Audit methodology
- Excellent workload and time management skills and ability/determination to keep to agreed deadlines whilst working on multiple audits simultaneously
- Consistently promotes and maintains high standards of quality at work
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and ability to effectively communicate at all levels – written and verbal - including strong report writing skills
- Good at building relationships and influencing stakeholders at all levels of the business
- Ability to identify factual issues quickly through analytical thinking and controls-based testing and to use sound business acumen to suggest practical, cost effective and value adding solutions
- Hard working, self-motivated, resilient and tenacious and ability to complete an audit from start to finish both individually and within a team
- Comfortable working independently and sometimes remotely, without direct supervision
- Ability to make day-to-day audit decisions autonomously (e.g. relating to sample sizes, issue/report ratings or stakeholder management) in a timely and confident manner
- Professionally qualified or part qualified ACCA, ACA or CIA/CMIIA
- Graduate calibre
Beneficial Experience (not required):
· A working knowledge of the PFI / PPP industry
· An understanding of the key risks within an investment/asset management business and/or in managing large infrastructure projects
Perks & Benefits:
· Private medical care
· Private dental care
· Enhanced pension contributions
· Enhanced maternity pay
· Charity projects
· Women’s Network Club
· Flexible working
· Wellbeing allowance
· And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
If you wish to apply for this role, please email your CV to email@example.com.