Sr Payroll Associate
Job Title: Senior Payroll Associate
Reporting to: Head of Reward
Location: London, UK
Department: Human Resources
Business Division: Group
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is a leading international investor across a range of infrastructure sectors. We are a responsible investor, committed to delivering critical and enduring infrastructure which responds to public needs and improves the lives of the communities we serve.
Today the Group has investments and operations in seven countries, and employs over 150 people at offices in London, Schiphol, Melbourne, Sydney, New York, Los Angeles and Bogota. We invest in greenfield projects and in businesses which develop and own infrastructure assets. We are FTSE 250 listed with a Net Asset Value of £1.5 billion as at 31 December 2020 and a market capitalisation of £1.6 billion.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted names in greenfield infrastructure. During our long history, we have invested in over 150 projects, and as a result have developed strong credentials and a network of valuable relationships with both construction partners and clients. At its core, John Laing creates value through sourcing primary investments, active asset management and realising secondary assets for value. Our greenfield heritage, active asset management expertise, international footprint and partner relationships are key differentiators. These competitive strengths underpin a consistently strong investment track record in PPP projects, particularly in the transport and social infrastructure sectors. Since IPO, we have realised assets at an average multiple of cash invested of over three times.
The Group’s history has been one of constant evolution and growth, and this remains the case today. The fundamental drivers of infrastructure investment are stronger than ever – population growth, climate change, energy transition, urbanisation and the ever-increasing need for digital connectivity. Following the appointment of Ben Loomes as Chief Executive in May 2020, the Group launched a new strategy aimed at evolving John Laing into a leading international investment platform and manager of balance sheet and third-party capital across a range of infrastructure sectors.
We plan to build John Laing into a broader infrastructure investment platform with complementary investment businesses; a strong Greenfield PPP & Projects business, with a second engine for growth in mid-market Core-plus infrastructure. Over time, there is also a clear opportunity to build a third-party capital business alongside investing our own balance sheet. Our strategy seeks to build on our strengths and ensure we are well-positioned to capitalise on structurally favourable end markets. This is an exciting time to join a business that makes a real difference to society as it embarks on the next stage of its growth and evolution.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Senior Payroll Associate
The Senior Payroll Associate reports directly to the Group Head of HR, Ariam Enraght-Moony, and is responsible for processing the end to end global payroll in a timely and accurate manner.
The payroll is run for c160 employees in UK, Europe, North America, Australia and Colombia so experience and an understanding of payroll practicalities in these regions will be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be an energetic self-starter with attention to detail and a willingness to take ownership.
· End-to-end international Payroll Management, including bonuses, share incentives, pensions and benefits
· Liaise with relevant tax authorities
· Vendor Management across a mix of local payroll service providers
· Payroll process review, simplification and implementation
· Ensure all employee data is accurately entered in the HR and payroll system
· Design and production of relevant regular and ad hoc management reports
· Process Gender Pay Gap Report, Executive Pay Report
· Design and delivery of payroll related communications
· First point of contact to support managers and employees with general queries
· Final Payroll Review with HR Business Partners and Finance before validation of disbursement
· Undertake audit checks ensuring accuracy and to ensure that variances are reviewed to comply with audit requirements
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
· Senior level experience at administering international payrolls (or equivalent experience gained in a professional services firm)
· Experience working with international secondments and other cross-border payroll issues
· Experienced in reviewing and implementing international payroll processes and procedures
· Stakeholder Management - manage and influence senior stakeholders
· Understanding of payroll accounting, reconciliations, journals and month end requirements
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Highly analytical with exceptional attention to detail
· Must be able to perform under pressure and be able to meet tight deadlines
· Proficient Excel skills and able to manipulate and analyse large volumes of data
Perks & Benefits:
· Private medical care
· Private dental care
· Enhanced pension contributions
· Enhanced maternity pay
· Charity related projects
· Women’s Network Club
· Flexible working
· Wellbeing allowance
· Holiday Purchase
· Group Life Assurance
· Group Income Protection
· Cycle to Work scheme
· Gym Flex
· And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.