Group Asset Director
Job Title: Group Asset Director
Reporting to: Chief Risk Officer
Location: London, United Kingdom
Department: Investment Performance Team
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is an FTSE 250 listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, telecommunication and environmental infrastructure projects across a range of international markets including the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America and Middle East.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Group Asset Director, Investment Performance Team
In this role, you would be part of the wider Investment Performance Team, led by the Chief Risk Officer. IPT provides central support to the business across the full project lifecycle. The Group Asset Director will be supported by the Head of Portfolio Performance and the Project Controls & Compliance Manager (yet to be appointed).
Purpose of the role:
- The Group Asset Director, will chair the Portfolio Review Committee (the Committee) and, will work with the Regional Asset Management teams to improve the company’s asset management systems and provide specialist support and insight in the delivery of complex infrastructure projects.
- The Group Asset Director will also be responsible for managing the Project Review process which provides assurance that projects are being managed in accordance with the Group’s policies and procedures.
- Developing the Core and Core plus asset management approach and team, initially in Europe.
- Be involved in special projects, e.g. restructuring of an asset.
Portfolio Review Committee Chair
The Committee monitors and reviews the performance of each of the Group’s investments, including reviewing KPIs and a detailed review of a selection of assets requiring more detailed monitoring (the Watchlist). The Committee is also responsible for reviewing and approving any material variations to existing investments (including any additional investments). The Group Asset Director’s role includes;
- Effective chairing of the meeting including ensuring committee member’s concerns are discussed, decisions are taken within the delegated authority of the committee and minutes of the proceedings recorded
- Support the discussion with effective challenge and insights in the delivery of major infrastructure projects
Manage the Group’s Project Review process which comprises undertaking independent reviews to test the effectiveness of project (including financial) controls. The role includes;
- Preparing and presenting an annual plan of Project Reviews to the Committee including resourcing and timetable
- Manage the delivery of the Project Reviews and ensuring actions are agreed with the relevant Asset Directors before circulation to the Committee for approval
- Prepare and present to the Committee an annual report of common themes, issues and recommendations including any required training, revisions to the project controls framework or changes to any Group policies and procedures
John Laing’s Asset Management Systems
Responsibility for John Laing’s Project Control’s Framework, supporting Asset Management teams with expert advice and hands on support where required and regularly reviewing the Project Controls Framework.
Support as requested, in relation to:
- the appraisal of particular investments as required
- regularly reporting on the Group’s counterparty credit exposure.
Project Company Boards
Represent John Laing on a number of the larger and more complex assets as a director of the relevant board.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
- Technical qualification in engineering and/or project management
- Senior experience in the delivery of complex, privately financed infrastructure projects
- Sound knowledge of Project Controls
- Experience of Core and Core-plus investments and asset management
Beneficial Experience (not required):
- A second language would be advantageous but is not essential
Perks & Benefits:
- Private medical care
- Private dental care
- Enhanced pension contributions
- Enhanced maternity pay
- Charity projects
- Women’s Network Club
- Flexible working
- Wellbeing allowance
- And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
If you wish to apply for this role, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.