Investment Director - Latin America
Job Title: Investment Director, Latin America
Reporting to: Managing Director, Latin America
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Department: Primary Investments
Business Division: LATAM
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is an FTSE 250 listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, energy transition infrastructure and telecommunication projects across a range of international markets including the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America and Middle East.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to gender balance and equality. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee. John Laing manages a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. At John Laing, we welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief and we make recruiting decisions based on candidates’ skills and experience.
The Role: Investment Director
In this role, you would be part of the Primary Investments Team, within the LATAM business division. Latin America recently become the 4th business region for John Laing. We opened our LatAm hub in Bogota in 2018 and now we have a sizeable local team based there. We are now growing the senior team in our Bogota hub with this Investment Director role.
Purpose of the role:
As a senior member of the LATAM team, you will contribute to the growth of the business by taking a leading role in securing new investments for John Laing. That will involve contributing to strategic initiatives, identification of suitable investments and transaction leadership and execution through to financial close of specific investments in John Laing’s approved sectors.
- Identification of investment opportunities with JL’s target sectors in Latin America, with an initial focus on Colombia, Peru and Chile
- Transaction leadership and execution from identification of investment opportunities through to financial close
- Formulation and presentation of project investment cases to the senior management
- Contribute to local and global strategic initiatives relating to the origination of new investments including new sector research
- Management and mentoring of Analysts, Investment Managers and Senior Investment Managers in the LATAM team
- Ongoing representation on project investment entity companies to support the asset management team
- Represent John Laing’s interests in key meetings and negotiations with partners, clients and advisers
- Ensure that investments are secured on terms consistent with the business objectives and established investment / risk criteria
- Negotiate Sponsor / Bid Agreements / Heads of Terms with Co-Sponsors, sub-contractors and consultants to support bidding activities and lead negotiation of commercial negotiations through to financial close.
- Assist in the formulation of bid strategy, identifying potential opportunities and supporting the development of proposals
- Take responsibility for business development in selected sectors including identification and monitoring of project pipeline
- Representation on industry bodies, development of a network of industry contracts and increasing JL’s profile
- Keep up to date with current market trends, including any established market practices and/or published guidance
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
- Prior infrastructure investment or advisory experience
- Significant Latin America work experience highly desirable
- PPP or experience in a similar project finance sector highly desirable
- Proven experience of taking a leading role on the execution of greenfield transactions through to financial close
- Sound financial and commercial acumen essential
- Proven experience of negotiating and finalising transaction agreements
- Experienced in the negotiation and closure of complex projects
- Willingness to work as part of a small team
- Proven origination capability / track record
- Experience in leading teams and business development activities
Perks & Benefits:
- Private medical care
- Enhanced pension contributions
- Flexible working
- Wellbeing allowance
To apply please email your CV to Alex.Yew@laing.com