Job Title: Investment Director
Reporting to: Regional Managing Director, EME
Department: Europe and Middle East
Business Division: EME
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is an FTSE 250 listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, telecommunication and environmental infrastructure projects across a range of international markets including the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America and Middle East. John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Investment Director
In this role, you would be part of the Primary Investment Team within the EME business division, working on Decarbonisation of Transport.
Purpose of the role:
· Lead John Laing’s market entry in the provision of integrated “end to end” electric vehicles
· Lead the Decarbonisation of Transport team within the EME region.
· To build a pipeline of opportunities, form consortia with relevant partners to bid and secure investments focussed on the delivery of sustainable integrated infrastructure transport solutions on a non-recourse finance basis.
· Develop a business plan for the EME region.
· Build a team with the requisite skills and experience.
· Understand changing public sector needs, evolving sustainable transport solutions and be the expert in this sector within the region.
· Provide continuing support to the regional asset management team throughout the lifecycle of the group’s investment in this sector.
· Supporting our ESG strategy and approach.
· Lead the companies market entry in to the Decarbonisation of Transport Sector in the EME region.
· Develop a business plan and EME wide strategy incl. resource requirements
· build a business case to provide and finance electric vehicles at scale (500+)
· Secure projects that meet the risk / return requirements as determined by the Investment Committee, and strategy as set by the Board.
· Develop skillset and knowledge of the existing team..
· Liaise with, and keep the wider business informed of developments in the sustainable transport sector. Liaise with other regions to share knowledge and experience.
· Develop partnerships with key supply chain parties.
· Represent John Laing’s interests in key meetings with clients and partners, public sectors bodies, advisors and influencers in this sector. Lead key negotiations with consortium partners and advisors.
· Live purpose and values
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
· Broad and detailed knowledge of public bus operations in an urban environment, and transport authorities
· Detailed knowledge of the bus supply chain and connected industries
· Experience of working with, and building strong relationship with 3rd parties incl. bus OEM’s, O&M and has a deep network of contacts.
· Development of complex integrated bid solutions
· Fluent English - written and spoken
· Ability to identify project risks and implement effective risk mitigation plans.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to engage with clients and all stakeholders, forming effective relationships, gaining their respect and confidence through all round gravitas
· Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external teams
· Sound business / commercial acumen
· Strong influencing and negotiation skills
· Highly driven – able to see a project through to successful conclusion through focused determination
· Ability to lead, motivate and engage a team.
· Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
Beneficial Experience (not required):
· Prior relevant experience in delivering public transport solutions
· Knowledge of sustainable transport technologies and operations including the supply chain
· Experience in managing urban transport bus operations
· Understanding of BEV battery technology and lifecycle, development and implementation of EV charging systems
· Commercial/contract management experience
· Understanding of Project Finance
· Second language – preferably French, German or Italian
Perks & Benefits:
· Private medical care
· Private dental care
· Enhanced pension contributions
· Charity projects
· Flexible working
· Wellbeing allowance
· And many more…
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of Diversity & Inclusion initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
To apply please email your CV to Eva.Dustagheer@laing.com