Managing Director - Green Mobility
Job Title: Managing Director Green Mobility
Location: Flexible (but London preferred)
Department: Green mobility
Business Division: Group
About John Laing:
John Laing Group (JLG) is an FTS 250 listed international originator, active investor and manager of infrastructure projects. Our business is focused on major transport, social, telecommunication and environmental infrastructure projects across a range of international markets including the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America and Middle East.
John Laing is one of the world’s most trusted brands in the field of infrastructure thanks to our expertise and credentials, having completed over 150 projects in the last 50+ years.
To create value for all our stakeholders by investing in, developing and managing infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, which respond to public needs, foster sustainable growth and improve the lives of communities around the world.
Ownership: We take personal and collective responsibility for our contributions to the business, reflecting the ethics, inclusivity and integrity of our purpose.
Empowerment: We trust our colleagues to do their best work for our business, wherever they are, giving them the tools, skills and support they need in order to do their best and reach their full potential.
Growth Mindset: We are open minded and alive to learning new things and spotting new opportunities. We’re continually looking for ways to improve, so that we develop as individuals and contribute to the growth of our business and communities in which we work.
Shared Prosperity: We believe that our success can only come from collective results, where outcomes are aligned and benefits are realised for all stakeholders.
The Role: Managing Director Green Mobility
- In this role, you would be part of the group green mobility team.
- The team is responsible for developing green mobility solutions and positioning John Laing for investment opportunities in this space.
- The green mobility team will focus on the decarbonization of urban bus fleets, with the aim to develop and promote solutions designed to accelerate the transition to electric buses.
- In collaboration with John Laing regional team, the Green Mobility team engages with public and private sector stakeholders of the public transportation ecosystem, builds and coordinates global strategic partnerships, identifies and originates investment opportunities.
- The Green Mobility team will also leverage its expertise to support regional teams for bidding and project structuring activities as well as advising John Laing Investment Committee for investment assessments.
Purpose of the Role:
In this role, you will drive John Laing’s development into green mobility, with a specific focus on the electrification of urban bus fleets.
This will require a strong focus on business development together with John Laing regional teams as well as ensuring that the group develops the necessary expertise (technological, operational, economic…) to successfully invest in and deliver projects.
- Build and manage the central green mobility team
- Develop John Laing’s strategy for the electrification of public bus fleets and review progress
- Coordinate overall business development activities for John Laing to enter and grow into this sector, in cooperation with John Laing regional teams
- Ensure growth and prioritization of the overall pipeline of opportunities
- Establish and continuously seek to improve John Laing’s value proposition in the sector by gathering market insights and feedback from regional teams
- Develop and strengthen John Laing relationships globally within the e-bus ecosystem (PTOs, OEMs…), including the development of formal partnerships at global or regional level, jointly with John Laing regional teams
- Act as global John Laing sponsor for strategic partners in the e-mobility space
- Provide support to:
- Regional business development and primary investment teams to develop and secure investment opportunities
- The JL Investment committee, for opportunity assessment and project valuation
- Regional asset management team throughout the lifecycle of investments in this sector
- Identify key success and risk parameters for projects and ensure that the appropriate expertise is available internally to address them
- Foster cooperation and knowledge sharing internally between teams
- Promote John Laing’s value proposition externally via publication and/or by representing the company during public events (conferences…)
- Monitor, identify and review potential investment opportunities in the broader context of urban transportation projects (light rail, heavy rail, delivery fleet…)
Knowledge, Skills & Qualification Required:
- Extensive experience in the public transportation sector, preferably within a global PTO with exposure to different regional/national urban markets
- Experience and detailed understanding of the design and operation of bus fleets in an urban environment (incl. network design, bus procurement, operation, maintenance, economics…)
- Experience in leading business development activities especially for complex integrated bid solutions or large urban multimodal networks
- Significant experience in interacting and negotiating with public transportation authorities
- Demonstrated relationships / network with key players across the bus value chain (PTAs, OEMs…)
- Highly driven
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly driven – able to see a project through to successful conclusion through focused determination.
Beneficial Experience (not required):
- Financial deal structuring, plus for exposure to Project Finance
- Prior experience in the transition of diesel bus fleet to electric bus fleet
- Understanding of e-bus technology: batteries, charging infrastructure, grid connection...
- Second language – preferably French, German, Dutch or Italian
Perks & Benefits:
- Private medical care
More about us:
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.